View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRempe
I'm not cynical due to inexperience with the subject. I've done plenty of my own informal scientific testing using batted ball speed (using local upper level players) as well as reading some extensive research done by Kettering University, and have also been in contact with the good folks from Anderson Bat Company about their facts, figures, and research.
Yes, I'm familiar with Dan Russell, also.

Quote:
I love physics and physical science, and this is just a hobby of mine! You should see my R/C aircraft, boats, and vehicle collection which I use to test various scientific instruments. I figured I would just apply one hobby to my new hobby of umpiring as well (pertaining to bats and balls, what happens when they're hit, etc etc).
The biggest problem to make it as close to perfect as possible is that the "on field" action cannot be consistantly duplicated. However, just watching the slow-motion film of a pitched ball hitting the swinging bat is unbelievable. The extent to which the ball "collapses" around the bat and then rebounds is pretty amazing.

Quote:
Anyway, I don't mean to sound cynical, Mr. Rowe. I just have some other information which has been compiled from other sources
But the issue is that we have the best information we can presently get and the rules are based upon it. Whether one believes it or not is actually irrelevant as we are bound to enforce the rules as umpires. In turn, such an umpire could be held liable if they choose to ignore the rules that some believe could save a player, coach or fan their life.