Thread: at what point?
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
When you take the question into context, the OP stated when to start a running clock. Where do we have a running clock? In non-regulated, that is not Fed. controlled type games. IOW's, a rec league type of game, so the answer I gave, considering the question, which BTW, was a multiple choice question, was indeed correct, when the ball becomes live. Now, the point you and JR made is correct but it may be overkill to what the OP is looking for. Know your environment! If, you want to get super technical, get the book and desribe for us when the Fed. says the clock should be started instead of brow-beating the point that I was wrong. Just like JRUT says, there is no rules that describe rec league, or most make up their own, and i do have a trailor on every message, perhaps you should read it before posting. Now get over it....!!!
I think you missed the point.

It is a valid opinion to say, "The clock should start when the ball becomes live." That's what you said.

It is also a valid opinion to say, "The clock should start when the clock would normally start in a game." Those are the examples you gave.

The issue is that the examples don't match the words. And you don't need to be "super technical" to understand the difference between "a live ball" and "the clock running". The two have nothing to do with one another.

Oh -- to the OP: I'd start the clock as soon as the reason for stopping the clock was removed. That is, if the rules have the clock running throughout the foul reporting and FT process (and include running the clock during the substitution for an ejected player), then I'd start the clock as soon as the injured player was off the floor.