View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
Sitting in bleachers watching a 13, 14, 15 year old baseball game. Basehit to F8. Batter-runner streches single to a double and misses 1st base on his way to 2nd. F8 throws the ball to 1st for the appeal on the missed base. Ball is tipped by F3 and rolls into the dugout. BU called dead ball and gave R1 his award. F3 retrieves the ball and throws it to F1. PU calls batter up and puts ball in play. Defensive coach asked for time, went out to his pitcher and told him he could still appeal the missed base. Conference ends and PU puts ball back in play, F1 stepped off, threw to F3 who tagged 1st base asked for R1 to be called out for missing 1st and BU called him out. I went over all of this in my head and it seemed correct. Any thoughts or comments? Could R1 have re-touched 1st during the dead ball before advancing to his awarded bases and been within the rules while doing so? (Sorry about the long post).
I agree with Bob and Tim. This was part of continuous action hence the defense does not loose it's right to appeal.

Now if F8 threw to F1 and F1 then threw to F3 to appeal the missed base that's a different story because there was a "break" in action.

NOTE: In FED rules even if there was a break in action and F1 threw the ball out of play DURING an appeal, in FED unlike OBR the defense would not loose their right to appeal.

Pete Booth