View Single Post
Old Tue May 09, 2000, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I wish more refs would go by Jack's guidance. I think that many times refs are too lenient in what they tolerate in terms of abuse from coaches. the most abusive coaches also tend to have abusive fans, and the entire game becomes a little intense. just returning from AAU Regionals for 10U girls. Most coaches were well-behaved, but one team coaches and fans got a little out of control, to the point where fans were running up and down the sidelines in response to calls (covering a good 20-30 feet each time). This is not appropriate for what is a learning environment for young players. We were watching the game and supporting one of our other club teams. our players began to react to this by imitating some of the worst behavior. We had to explain to them that we do not do as we see others do on the court. But this is a lesson they will learn, while the other team is busy learning how to behave like animals. I really wish the refs would have taken a strong action, especially with regard to the fan behavior. These fans will get worse as their players age.