View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In today’s competitive world what say you?
[/QUOTE]

There is competition when trying to make umpiring one's living.

However, in the amateur game depending upon where you live there is an overall shortage of umpires so the phrase "competitive world" doesn't apply.

The catch phrase is

"Are you available" is more prevelant in the amateur game
There is competition in getting High end HS Varsity games and sectional games. I do not umpire college but I would think there is competition in getting a College World Series assignment.

Absent the aforementioned there is plenty of games to umpire if you are available.

We should be a Team out there just like when we played and treat our fellow official with the same respect we did our teammates which means we do not throw our partner "under the bus" etc.

If you have a problem save it for after the game.

We give our partner a chance to handle a particular situation but when it gets heated etc. it's time to step in and get the game moving.

Talking about the amateur game only, if you have an ego and are strictly "out for yourself" word gets around no matter how good of an official you are and no one wants to work with somebody like that.

As far as the future of officiating, I see a continued shortage at least in the amateur game.

Pete Booth