View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 10:10am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cropduster
After disagreeing with officail's call three players on A's bench stand up, turn their back to the floor, and attempt to incite the crowd to "boo". Ruling: Tech on A's bench, indirect to coach. B is awarded 2 FTs plus throw in acros....
Barry, where did you get this ruling? I can't find it in the current casebook or in last year's casebook under 10.4 or 10.5.

In such a situation, I would not say that a technical foul is charged to Team A's bench. I would assess a direct technical foul to each person on the bench and then also charge the head coach with three indirect technical fouls.

The only time we give a single penalty for multiple infractions is when the whole team (or some "large" number of them) commit the same infraction at the same time. For example, Team A is winning by 8 points with 5 seconds remaining in the game. A1 is fouled and will shoot bonus free throws. All the substitutes on Team A's bench run onto the floor in celebration, even though the game clock has not expired. In this case, only one technical foul for delay would be assessed.

So in your case, the question is "what is that 'large' number?". And I don't have a definitive answer for that. I think it probably means most of the team. So when it's "only" three team members, I'd probably give three direct T's (one to each sub) and three indirects to the head coach (which gets the coach booted).

Last edited by Scrapper1; Fri Sep 14, 2007 at 10:30am.