View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
To my dearly beloved friend, Scrappy......

After you return from wherever you go when you're pouting, would you please answer the following question?

If a throw-in by A1 is tipped by a player(defensive, offensive--I really don't care what you call them), and a B player then gains possession of the tipped ball while in mid-air after jumping from his frontcourt, is it a violation for that B player to land in the back court holding the ball? Iow, do you agree or disagree that the above play of jar's is not a backcourt violation?

That's all I want to know.

Camron, Junior....please put on the record also whether you think that this is a violation or not.
No violation. Team B is not responsible for the location of the ball if it is from A's throwin. Until team B gains possession, they remain on defense and have the expception at their favor.

To further illustrate that point...Ball inbounds in A1's hands. B1 deflects A1's pass to A2. B2 catches the ball in the air having jumped from the frontcourt and lands in the backcourt. Violation. No. Reason: B remains on defense until they have possession of the ball either through a steal/turnover/violation/foul by A.

A greater responsibility is placed on team A since they're controlling where the ball is thrown. Team B can only react to where team A throws the ball and should not be put in jeopardy of a violation in order to gain possession of the ball. That intent was made clear when the exceptions were first instituted.