View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Future of Officiating

In a recent thread, I used the phrase that I was the senior official in a game and basically stepped into a situation to resolve a dispute that had the potential of exploding. Exception was made with the fact that being the senior official on the field meant very little, “#2 It is my understanding that in most areas, the PU is the UIC, being the more senior as far as I know doesn't supersede anything.”

Today, I am reading the article “Ejection in the Cape Cod League” by Peter Osborne and noticed his statement, “However, as the senior umpire, I take a lot more initiative.”

Not exactly the same scenario however, I thought it may be a good topic of discussion.

Now, we have a good mix of young cocky stallions on this forum and some old geezer’s with a lot of experience and knowledge, often going head to head.

Maybe it is just me, but there seems to be a lot more individualism in officiating amateur sports now. Is it truly “every man for him self,” and should we prescribe to a “sink or swim” philosophy in our associations and let the younglings fend for their self?

In today’s competitive world what say you?