View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 07:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
So, is B1 still a defender after the throw-in pass is deflected? My original stance was that either team could secure control after a deflection and come down anywhere. The new case tells us that this is not true for team A. Now we know for certain that the throw-in exception does not apply. Does the
"defensive player" exception apply? If I understand correctly, Tony says it does and JR says it does not. Now what do we do?
The problems remains that you do not understand it correctly. The new case tells you that it's illegal for both teams. Tony is not saying that B1 is a defensive player with regards to the exception. Tony was and has been saying that the throw-in ended with the tipped ball, and the exception in 9-9-3 also ended when the throw-in ended. Therefore, when the throw-in ended, you had a loose ball without player or team control having been established. The first player to gain player control of the loose ball will now become an offensive player, and the exception does not count for offensive players. You and Nevada were arguing differently- from last November to the present. The new case play asserts that Tony was correct.

From the new case play--"The exception granted during a throw-in ends when the throw-in ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball." That's all you have to know.

Tony and I were arguing whether there is an "offense" or "defense" per se during a throw-in.

What Tony and I(and others) were arguing was nothing but semantics, and those semantics are basically completely irrelevant to the correct call on the play being discussed.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 08:00am.