View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 06:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Are you sure the ball is dead? If the ball is dead, shouldn't the clock be stop? Not really trying to debate anything here, just adding food for thought to the discussion. I am surprised to learn there is no offense or defense on a throw-in. I'm not disagreeing with JR, I'm just surprised to learn.
Yes, the ball is dead. I don't have my rule book to quote, but it's under definitions, I believe. Any contact foul during this brief time should be ignored. If it can't be ignored, it is considered an intentional technical foul.
It's the dead ball period that allows the team that made the basket to legally request a timeout.

And there is no requirement for the clock to stop during a dead ball, just as there is no requirement for the clock to start during a live ball. Example, the ball is live during a throwin, even before the clock starts. The ball is live on a free throw, even before the clock starts.

Substitution rules also indicate that subs must be made during a dead ball while the clock is stopped. This is why players may sub after a made free throw but not after a made field goal.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 06:26pm.