View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 04:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
1) The rule book disagrees with you.
9-9-3
[B]A player from the team not in control(defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

2) During a throw-in, the thrower has control of the ball. It has nothing to do with team control or player control. A defensive player is a member of the opponent of the thrower.

3)The fact that there's no team control during a throw-in does not mean that one team is not on defense.

4)There is no NFHS Basketball Rules definition for the word control. There are only definitions for player control and team control.
Therefore, we rely on Webster's definition, just like we do for any other word that's not specifically defined in Rule 4.
1) Kinda handily forgot about the words in red didn't you? You know--"during a ...throw-in"? The rules don't say anything about who's a defender at that time, and the rules also never state when a player becomes a defender. If the FED hadda thought that there were "defenders" during a throw-in, then why did they add those additional words instead of just leaving it at "defensive player"? I read that sentence as saying that there are NO defensive players during a throw-in, which blows your whole postulation all t'hell. Good try.

2) Your opinion only.....I disagree.

3) Your opinion only.....I disagree.

4) Your opinion only.......I disagree.

Btw, I also ain't gonna argue this one for too long. It's not really germane to the call and I don't know really of any cases off the top of my head where it is even relevant.