Thread: Transitioning
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 03:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
1. I echo Bob read the FED rule book as if were the first time. Also, AT FIRST do not try and compare the different rule codes. Forget about OBR / LL when reading the FED rule / Case Book.

2. After reading the book, see if you can get some past years tests from some HS umpires (hopefully the answers are not already on them).

3. Purchase the BRD (Baseball Rule differences)

4. Learn the mechanics that are practiced in your HS association. Sometimes one develops bad habits when working LL games.

Why! Because in LL you might be "covering' for bad partners. Many Times at least from my experience in LL you have the dish and you have a parent / coach / Jr. Blue who is on the bases.

Suggestion: I am not telling you to give up volunteering Umpiring LL games, but I would stay away from doing the dish in the minors / majors because you will develop bad habits. The LL Strike zone is not the same as the HS strike zone with the exception of some low modified / JV games.

5. Leave LL ism's behind. What do I mean by that

A. Some LL organizations etc. want the umpires to "hang around" after games etc. In HS we do not do this. When the game is OVER it's OVER. Give whatever baseballs you have left to the Home coach and head for your car.

B. When EVERYONE knows the ball is FOUL do not go screaming FOUL at the top of your lungs.

C. The coach can warm -up F1. Also, if a player is not Squatting down they do not need a helmet and mask to warm up F1 - That's why it's extremely important to heed the advice of Bob and read the FED rule book as if it were the first time and also forget about the "other' rule codes.

There are many many differences between FED and LL which include both safety and playing rules.

Pete Booth
Pete,

I see a whole lot more bad HS umpires in my neck of the woods than bad LL umpires.

I worked a LL Regional this year. I worked a high school sectional and a college conference tournament (NCAA D3), too. I wish umpires would stop painting "Little League Umpires" with such a broad brush. Would you like me to paint you with such a broad brush?

--Rich

Last edited by Rich; Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 03:20pm.