View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
In simpler terms what the NFHS is now telling us is that since this action does NOT take place (1) during a throw-in, (2) during a jump ball, or (3) by a defensive player (The last being because there is no clear offensive team or clear defensive team in this scenario.), the player is not granted an exception and thus this is a violation.

At least that is how I now understand the rule after reading the new case play posted by Scrapper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I don't think it's "simpler terms" to try to explain why an exception doesn't apply. This play has nothing to do with the exceptions so why bring them up? It only further confuses the issue for someone who doesn't already understand it.
Because if the play doesn't qualify as one of the three exceptions then it is obviously a violation. That is all that I am saying.

JAR understands the basics of the backcourt rule. He is struggling to know when a play qualifies for the "defensive player" exception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
The only simple term left dangling is when a defender stops being a defender.
On this deflected throw-in, is B1 still considered a defender or not?
I can't answer that question at this time. I haven't seen the new rules or case book yet and don't know what the NFHS has written.

Perhaps they've decided that when one team has team control then the players on the other team are "defensive" players.
Perhaps there can be "defensive" players during a throw-in even though there is no team control by definition because one team clearly has the ball. Perhaps not.

Right now, I just don't know what to tell you.

Perhaps Tony can provide the answer. He seems to know exactly what the NFHS is thinking on this backcourt stuff.