View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
This interesting interpretation is new to me. If, with Abel back on 1B, the throw entered DBT, Abel could take his award (3B if he was between 2B and 1B when the throw was made, home if between 3B and 2B), but he would first have to run to touch 2B to correct one mistake, then return to 1B to correct the other. No wonder another code came up with "last time by."
Oh, I admit I screwed up. The scenario above is different because you cannot have a live ball appeal if the ball entered DBT. Once the ball goes out of play, the umpire must give the runner ample time to correct any baserunning mistakes, then make the award.

Quote:
The answer I got from ASA in March 2006 was simply, "The runner must touch in reverse order. Out on appeal," which I took to mean for missing 2B, not for leaving 1B too soon after having "negated" his return by advancing to touch a missed base. I assume that ASA would have mentioned leaving 1B too soon if that factor entered into the mix.
Well, why wouldn't it enter into the mix? If the runner in the scenario above stopped on 2B and then was awarded home and continued without a correction, I would think that the missed base is still available for appeal.