Thread: Touchback ??
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJak
I was a wasn't sure about if OOB beyond the line was considered dead in the end zone. That makes sense.

So in the case of the large pile of guys going after a grounded fumble near the goal line we do need to determine which person was the last to touch it before it entered the end zone or is the scrum not considered a new force?

I'm just struggling with trying to determine which of the diving bodies was the last to reach out and knock the ball across the line. That's why I wouldn't think that force would come into play. I would think force is somebody trying to do something "routine" like recover a kick or pick up a fumble with nobody near them. When its a pile going after it and its bouncing around, unless somebody bats it I wouldn't consider the act of diving and trying to recover it a new force.

Can only one new force be applied to a grounded fumble or can multiple new forces be applied? i.e., B muffs it (diving), then A muffs it (diving), then B muffs it again (diving) - are those 3 new forces applied or is it just the initial new force that we are concerned with?

Thanks
REPLY: Let's take your questions one at a time...

1. Last to touch really may not have any significance. All that matters is that your judgment determines who is responsible for a ball crossing a goal line and entering an endzone. A good guideline to follow is this. If you think it reasonable that the ball would have entered the endzone without a player's muff or bat, do NOT rule a new force. Conversely, if the ball is sitting almost at rest or if it is moving briskly away from the goal line and then a player muffs it so that it enters the endzone, that's a new force.

2. There may be multiple opportunities for players to apply a force on a loose ball, but the only one that matters is the one that puts it across the goal line.

3. "I'm just struggling with trying to determine which of the diving bodies was the last to reach out and knock the ball across the line." That's why you get paid the big bucks. You need to make the final determination as to whose muff/bat really caused the ball to enter the endzone.

4. One other 'unwritten' recommendation that you won't find in the rule book: When a team puts the ball on the ground (fumble, muffed backward pass) near a goal line, make sure you give their opponents the benefit of the doubt regarding any marginal new force; i.e. when in doubt, rule that it was not an opponent's new force that put the ball in the endzone. [Note: This is really just my opinion. Others may disagree.]