View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

I learn along time ago, it’s important to know how they got in the neutral zone. First series of the game - the D-line was already on the line and fine. I was talking to the wide-out explaining my foot was the line, looked down the line and the D-tackle on my side was breaking the neutral zone (barely). Of course I had a lot of help from the coaches on my sideline to point this out! For some reason I let it go and warned the D-tackle he was close.

The next play, the same thing, the D-tackle was in the neutral zone (more this time). I have called encroachment for much less and again an assistant coach was right in my ear screaming for encroachment. Again, I did not pull the trigger – something just didn’t feel right.

On the third play, I was more observant of the D-tackle. He lined up perfectly on the line, the center went into his stance and immediately slide the ball forward about three inches putting the tackle in the neutral zone. I went through the third play with the same coach in my ear bordering on belligerent now. After the play, I told him I was not calling encroachment - but I would call an illegal snap on his center if he didn’t stop moving the ball. We didn’t have any more problems after that! It also taught me a valuable lesson.