Thread: AR's
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatneff
I am now three weeks into the high school season. In those three weeks, I have been involved in SIX games where my AR's have missed several offside calls due to not being in position. As the center official, you should not call offside if the AR does not signal for it. That's tough to take, too, because the players, coaches, and fans ride you probably moreso than the AR. It's very frustrating, but I take the blame and cover for my AR.

The point I'm trying to make here is that EVERYONE needs to come into a season in shape. If you can't keep up with high school kids as an AR on the line, then you need to either do more to get in shape or stick to the games of younger players.

Sorry to vent, but it's just a suggestion to some out there who may be reading or are new to officiating soccer.
Sorry, but you aren't handling these situations correctly. Your above statement is not correct. The ultimate authority for the decisions made during a game falls to the center referee, and per 5-3-2h that person has the power to confirm or overrule any signals from the assistants. In short, if the referee believes that the player is offside and the AR fails to signal, then it is the duty of the referee to make the call.