View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 11:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I agree with the others. You have to follow your rules code. However, as the title suggests, this is a good reason for FED to adopt the NCAA rule in this case. This rule has a lot of potential for abuse. If the defense sees that a wideout is uncovered (by the defense) they can simply jump offsides and take the penalty -- who wouldn't take 5 yards over a TD? This can be coached.
The rule has worked fine in 48 states all these years. While I would like to see the live ball foul, I don't think it's coming anytime soon.

I've now told 3 rookie officials (wow, I've broken in 3 of the 4 officials on my crew, hadn't thought about that) about the mistake I made the first season I worked back in the days of stirrups.

I did exactly what the OP did, except my play (fortunately) was not run for a TD. My WH was pissed, told me that we didn't play on Saturday and Sunday, and that I should open the rulebook before I got him seriously yelled at.

(Not to wing it off topic further, but my other "rookie advice" is that I tell my deep guys that the worst thing that can happen is an IW on a muffed fair catch and I remind them that they need to be patient and remember that the rule protects the player, not the whistle. I've not done that myself, but have seen it enough to know the consequences and fallout.)