View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

I should also add that I'd relatively new to this (5years). I'm trying to develop as a referee and continually find that every game I have the pleasure of wearing the white hat provides new opportunities to learn.

When I first started I found myself calling everything. I knew the book backwards and forwards and was what y'all would dub a book official. I was then enlighetened by the practice of being more a game manager instead of rules enforcer. I'm sort of working through that right now. That was my logic in doing what I did. My descision had to be made fairly quickly. My rational was that unlike an IW, the play was NOT stopped. None of the player realized the play was not supposed to be occuring. So in my mind, from a fairness-advantage gained standing, this was not like an IW. I felt that I had at my discression an opportunity to rectify an officials mistake. Since no advantage was gained by the foul and the actions in the play.

I understand I lost an opportunity to show the LJ a "tough love" and teach him a lesson and I probably gave the coaches fodder to say the next time this happens "well the referee we had last week did this...". In retrospect I'm not trying to justify my actions. I'm trying to tweek my sense of how to be a great game manager while not completely trampling the guiding rules of the NFHS.