View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 12:46am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling
This reminds me of the time when, at one our mandatory, preseason umpire meetings, when a DVD series was played regarding the rules. It was completely based on OBR rules. Even the rule reference numbers were of the OBR variety. This is for high school baseball!

Of course, much of it applied, but some of it absolutely did not apply - especially in the area of balks.

It also claimed that stepping on the plate, when hitting a pitched ball, was not a violation unless the entire foot is out of the batter's box when contact is made. That is true under OBR. Untrue under FED.

I looked around the room and everybody was watching the video as if nothing was wrong.

I felt like standing up a screaming, "Do you guys realize this is a video on the wrong set of rules????"

I just shook my head. It was typical. The meetings are supposed to be instructional and are completely useless. In fact, a lot of negative training gets done. We have a horrible organization. It's just a good ole boy network where all the guys who have been around forever listen to themselves talk and tell war stories.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Do you get your tests for the THSSAA (sp) handed to you prior to test day and get to take the test with no time limits, an open book and any notes you want?