View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling
A RHP can do what a lefty does, except he can does it toward 3rd base, as opposed to first. The identical move!

The difference is that a move toward 1st is more common and more useful. Pickoff attempts at 3rd are very rare.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
After reading your post, I remembered having a coach argue the direction of the foot when a RHP stepped to 3B. (identical to the argument we all have on LHP). I'm not sure why it didn't come to me sooner.

I'd contend that the move, if illegal, doesn't get called when RHP doesn't throw to 3B, just the step and feint. And many of those steps are immediately followed by a turn to 1B. One may not notice "distance and direction" as easily when he makes so much movement. I'd like to think that on tha actual pick off attempt at 3B it would be called the same as LHP to 1B. But in reality, they probably have more leeway than LHP for the fact that you pointed out, it's not seen as often. What I mean is that we are looking all the time for an illegal move to 1B by LHP. We simply watch the move of the RHP to 3B, and when something illegal jumps out, we call it.