View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay I'm going to try to summarize the various possibilities. Let's discuss them by number, okay? Rather than starting nine different threads, or getting confused about who's addressing which sitch.

1. A1 is holding the ball. A1 has used his dribble. A1 can't do much of anything that involves letting go of the ball and then touching it again.

2. A1 is holding the ball. A1 hasn't used his dribble. A1 can toss the ball over B1's head, run around B1 and catch the ball in a hold (ie not re-release it). as long as he doesn't move his feet after he catches it.

3. A1 is holding the ball. A1 hasn't used his dribble. A1 can toss the ball over B1's head, round around B1, allow the ball to hit the floor, and then continue a dribble as long as the touch behind B1 doesn't involve a hold, but is only a dribble.

4. A1 is dribbling toward B1. A1 can give the ball a good hard push to the floor so that it bounces very high. A1 can then sort of bat it over B1's head, without holding, allow it to bounce behind B1, run around B1 and continue dribbling. (that is, if B1 is dull-witted enough to let the ball make it that far!).

5. A1 is dribbling toward B1. A1 can begin the same maneuver as in #4, allow the ball to bounce behind B1, and then catch the ball behind B1 provided A1 doesn't take any more steps after catching the ball.

6. A1 is dribbling toward B1. A1 can begin the same maneuver as in #4, but can not catch the ball after the bat but before the ball hits the floor behind B1. This would be an illegal dribble, right?

#2 is the only one I'm not sure about, but I can't figure out why or why not it would or wouldn't be legal?

Last edited by rainmaker; Fri Aug 31, 2007 at 07:59pm.