View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 01:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3will
Perhaps I am over-sensitized by that video... I think perhaps in the past I was on the other side of the fence and not sensitive enough about helmet contact.

Heck when I played at the collegiate level, we were taught to initiate blocks and tackles with our helmets.
Face mask in the numbers then shoulder for blocks, face mask in the numbers and wrap for tackling... in
just that order.

Peace back at you.
I was watching the NFL Network this summer and I caught a show called "Six Days to Sunday." Usually this program deals with players and coaches, but this time it deal with Ed Hoculi the famous muscle bound Referee. In this game the week before during the Detroit-Dallas game, Ed called a Roughing the Passer on a Detroit Defender against Drew Bledsoe. At first glace it looked without a doubt as a foul. When the tape was broken down, Ed clearly erred and called a penalty where the contact was mostly with the shoulder. The NFL told Hoculi that he needed (as well as other Referees) to not call what likely looks like a foul, but to make sure there clearly was a foul. I think in this case you are reacting more to the snapping of the head than what actually happened on the play. Also remember the officials on the field did not call anything. I am sure with 7 officials someone saw the block and likely saw the entire block and they passed.

This is a classic judgment call where you have to decide not only was the intent of the play, but what likely happen. But even if there was some contact with the helmets, I think most of the contact was with the shoulder and initiated with the shoulder. In the angle from behind the blocker, there was space between the blocker's helmet and the defender's helmet. You could make this call, but I think you would have to defend it better than you are now. I also think the issue is not the history of all calls of a team, but what happen on this play. I will admit that I was thinking like you, until I saw both replays and it was clear to me this was not a foul. If there was a foul on this play that would have been extremely technical interpretation if you ask me. You are not going to be able to eliminate all contact with helmets. Football is about angles and violence and it is going to be hard on any tackle or block to not have some contact with someone's helmet.

Peace