View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJak
Help me understand how you would handle this. A will be running a delayed draw play. The wideout breaks from the LOS and cuts outward on what appears to be a out route designed to take a defender with him, he is contacted by B with open hands as he is moving past and away from B. Is the contact be B illegal in this instance? It was obvious that he was no longer a potential blocker by case 9-2-3-A but was a running play.

I think the main point for me is to see the whole play and understand the situation. MJT is right - I think I'm giving B too much leeway, but I'm also not going to assume that I know what A is going to do; and because I can't assume what they are going to do how can I expect B to do the same. That is what I'm struggling with.
This is why you see late flags on plays. You see things that may or may not be a foul, but it depends on few things. Here are some examples.
1. In your delayed draw play - you see the contact and know that if this ends up being a pass play you will have a flag on the ground. When it ends up being a draw play, you do not. What you probably would have on that play is the receiver making the initial contact as soon as the the DB sees the draw as if he is worth a hoot as a DB he will be sneaking a peek in the backfield.
2. Your key is the wide out and you see him blocking downfield and the QB drops back to pass. You are thinking it is going to be a screen pass, but the QB throws a quick out to the receiver who was in the slot on your wide outs side and it is definitely beyond the LOS.
3. You see illegal contact on your receiver and you glance in the backfield to see what the QB is doing. If he has just thrown a pass to the opposite field you have nothing. But, if he scans the field and later throws a pass, gets sacked, or runs, you would have a flag on the ground.
4. In college you see the ball thrown to a receiver and he is interfered with. You need to wait and throw your flag only if the pass is catchable.

These are just a few instances where you have to wait and see what happens and then decide if you put a flag on the ground, or not. What it boils down to is seeing the potential foul and sometimes needing to wait and see if you will flag it or not.

Last edited by MJT; Thu Aug 30, 2007 at 10:05pm.