View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
If he is running a crossing route and running parallel to the LOS, how can you say he is a potential blocker? There is no way he is and if you call it that way you are giving the defense a huge advantage and missinterpreting the rule. It is illegal use of hands until the ball is in the air and DPI if the ball is in the air and crosses the NZ.
Help me understand how you would handle this. A will be running a delayed draw play. The wideout breaks from the LOS and cuts outward on what appears to be a out route designed to take a defender with him, he is contacted by B with open hands as he is moving past and away from B. Is the contact be B illegal in this instance? It was obvious that he was no longer a potential blocker by case 9-2-3-A but was a running play.

I think the main point for me is to see the whole play and understand the situation. MJT is right - I think I'm giving B too much leeway, but I'm also not going to assume that I know what A is going to do; and because I can't assume what they are going to do how can I expect B to do the same. That is what I'm struggling with.