View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Don't have my rule book at work, but I do have the case book.

On Page 62 and 63...

Blocking - Use of hands.
9.2.3 Situation A: End A1 sprints from the line and then cuts sharply
toward the middle of the field. A1 makes no attempt to block defensive back
B1. B1 pursues A1 and pushes him from the side using his open hands. Contact
is made on A1's upper arm before the pass is thrown. A1 was moving away from
B1 when the contact occurred. RULING: Illegal use of hands by B1. A defender may
legally contact an eligible receiver beyond the neutral zone before the pass is in
flight. The contact may be a block or ward off the opponent who is attempting to
block by pushing or pulling him. However, if the receiver is not attempting to block
or has gone past or is moving away, it is illegal for the defender to use hands in the
manner described. In this situation, it is clear that A1 is no longer a potential blocker on B1. ( 2-3-5a, 7-5-7 )

9.2.3 Situation C: Quarterback A1 drops back 15 yards and throws a legal forward pass intended for A2, who is 5 yards behing the neutral zone.. Before the pass reaches A2: (a) B1 tackles A2; or (b) B1 blocks A2. RULING: In (a), tackling A2 is
a foul, as it is a form of holding. Defensive players are prohibited from grasping an
opponent other than the runner. The foul in (a) occurs during a loose-ball play, and
the 10-yard penalty will be administered from the previous spot. In (b), the contact by B1 is not pass interference and, if the block itself is legal, there is no infraction.
(7-5_10)

My personal note about receivers on a crossing routine or driving towards a defender.
I can't read the receivers mind so I don't expect a defender to be able to read the receiver's mind either. So if there is any chance that the receiver can block a defender, then I allow that defender to make legal contact. As the case play says, that doubt is removed if the receiver is moving away from the defender.

See the whole play and rule accordingly...