View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels
NDRef,

I am a wing and a BJ. I can't assume that the TE is still a blocker just because he is in a crossing pattern. I have to see what the TE does. If he is actually blocking, then yes its legally contact. But if the ball is thrown I have a flag on TE. Now if he is not blocking and running a route, I'll take a peek at what the QB is doing. There is more to the play than just watching the TE crossing. If the LB takes down the TE and the QB was going to throw to him, I have a flag on the LB.
Why? You can't assume a pass play either. The rule states that if the TE (or any eligible receiver) is still a "potential" blocker the contact on him is legal. Whether he actually blocks or not is not relevant. You are basically stating that the defense must wait to be contacted first by the TE (blocked) and then, and only then, can the defense return the contact. As long as the ball is not in the air and the TE is still a "potential" blocker (he is a potential blocker because since the ball is not in the air--we still have a running play) the LB or anyone else can have contact.

Now if that TE is running a pattern and is at the same yard line or beyond of his defender, you could potentially have "illegal use of the hands" on the defender or a hold (defending on the defenders actions) since the ball has not been thrown yet.