View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

First 2 Games down

After the first 2 games of the season last weekend, the season is under way. Here are a couple things we had that were problematic.

1. Need to stay focused on getting a new ball into play after long incompletions.
2. Need to understand the big picture. An inexpereinced wing official threw a flag for a false start, at the same time the head coach behind him was asking for a TO. The R was signalling the TO granted when the flag landed.
3. On at least 3 or 4 occassions, A's TE was crossing behind me (I'm the Umpire) obviously in a pass route, and being contacted hard by a LB before the ball is thrown. The TE was knocked to the ground on 1 of those plays. No flags by either BJ or wing officials. It's behind me and I'm not watching that, but I could tell it was happening.

Unusual events
1. Extended the 1st quarter with 2 untimed downs. Foul on the final timed down, and a foul on the untimed down.
2. I flagged A78 for BBW during the return following an interception. A78 was on his hands and knees trying to get to his feet when he lunged for and contacted a B player at the knees.
3. I had flags for ineligible downfield and IFP beyond the NZ on consecutive plays. Both of those plays went for TD's and were called back.