View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
... Society, in general, has dumbed down standards for as long as I can recall. I think that's a bad thing - lowering standards due to the bottom group. But that's what you're suggesting with the DP/Flex.
There are certain aspects of the game that are inherently challenging, like various interference infractions and obstruction. Those rules have to be there or there would be anarchy. Umpires just have to suck it up and learn those rules - even if they're a bit difficult.

But substitution rules needn't be difficult or confusing; certainly not as confusing as the DP/FLEX rule. There is no reason to keep hammering on that square peg and try to drive it into a round hole.

Why not drive the square peg into the square hole?

That's all I'm suggesting.

Actually, if you think about it, my proposal isn't too far off from the current DP/FLEX rule. It keeps all the good parts and removes all the hard parts.

I realize I'm just dreaming. They'll never change it and I'm not holding my breath.

I understand the rule. You understand the rule. And everybody in this forum probably understands the rule much better than the average umpire. To ignore that others labor with it, however, is naive. They do!

David Emerling
Memphis, TN