View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

"Come to think of it, under current rules, would I be allowed to sub in a new batter for a batter that started but did not complete her turn at bat and there was no injury? Not sure that I would ever do that to a player but its good to know if the option was there."

Sure, you can pretty much put a sub in whenever you want.

David,
Now, this becomes kind of a different type of discussion. I agree completely that this group does not represent many of the sports officials of any contest. You've got a small percentage who put in a lot of effort to be on top of rules, interps, mechanics, and sharing those with others. Discussions amongst this group are iron sharpening iron.
On the other extreme, you've got an equally small group of officials who desire only to be paid, do as little as they can, and then leave. This type of official exists in all sports too. And we get tired of cleaning up after them - but bodies are needed so they keep getting games.
In the middle, you've probably got the bulk of your officials - for one reason or another. I suspect that most of the folks on this board have the desire to move a few from this middle group into the first group.
Society, in general, has dumbed down standards for as long as I can recall. I think that's a bad thing - lowering standards due to the bottom group. But that's what you're suggesting with the DP/Flex.