View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer
David,

If you let me have two players in same spot in batting order with no substitution penalty, here is what I am going to do:

R1 on 3rd, my double batter spot is up in the batting order. One is fast and a good bunter with no power, the other is slow with power. I opt for the bunter. Two strikes later she couldn't put the bunt down.

"Blue, may I have time?"

I bring in the power bat looking for a sac fly. She singles, and guess who's coming in to run?

You had better at least force me to use a sub if I am running them in and out, just like I have to do with the current dp/flex rule.

Come to think of it, under current rules, would I be allowed to sub in a new batter for a batter that started but did not complete her turn at bat and there was no injury? Not sure that I would ever do that to a player but its good to know if the option was there.
Even the DP/FLEX rule (as "simple" as it is) requires an entire page under Rule 4 Section 3 A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I along with one of the longer POE's (#16) which has A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L.

I have just presented the foundation of my proposal. It would obviously need some polishing. But nothing close to the twists and turns of the DP/FLEX rule.

It wouldn't be too complex or incomprehensible to simply say, "The offense must decide which of the two FLEX players is to bat when their spot in the order comes up. Once that decision is made, the other FLEX cannot assume batting or running duties until the next at-bat comes up. No announcement needs to be made as to which of the two players is batting since no substitution is being made."

They're both clearly listed, side-by-side, on the lineup card. No confusion is possible. Either Katie (#24) or Suzy (#15) is going to bat in that spot. If the coach chooses Suzy, then Suzy has to complete her at-bat and run for herself. Of course, the coach can put a substitute in for Suzy, but that would just be a normal substitution as it currently reads in the rulebook. The substitute would simply become the new FLEX player. He just can't use Katie once the decision is made to use Suzy. If they have a big inning, and that spot comes up again, the coach can switch to Katie.

A simple modification like that would prevent the silliness you pointed out and it is extremely easy to understand.

How 'bout *this* with the current DP/FLEX rule?

The DP bats and gets on base. The coach calls time and wants the FLEX to run for the DP. Legal! Since the FLEX player is the pitcher, the coach then wants a courtesy runner for his pitcher. Legal? Yes!

Not only is that complicated - it's every bit as silly as the scenario you described for my proposal. I can fix it with my proposal with one, easily understandable, tweak: Once you decide who is going to bat in that spot (FLEX1 or FLEX2), you must stay with that player until the next time that spot comes up in the batting order.

You can even make an additional, common sense, and easily understood addendum like: "If a FLEX player gets injured and is removed from the game while either at-bat, or, while on base, a substitute is required. If no substitute player is available, the other FLEX player can take her place and then becomes the only occupier of that spot in the order for the remainder of the game."

OK, so now my proposal as addendum A and B, both of which or intuitive and readily understood without a lot of head scratching.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN