View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Yeah, I'm looking for the NFHS to dummy down a universally accepted (ASA, NCAA, and ISF) rule, using the rationale that their professional educators are too stupid to fully understand it as it currently exists.
I would hardly say "universally accepted" - more like "universally misunderstood."

Everybody can hum a few bars of the DP/FLEX rule, but few can sing the whole chorus. That includes coaches and umpires!

I know who many of these umpires are - and they are not "professional educators."

They're janitors, police officers, real estate salesmen, restaurant workers, plumbers, etc ...

They have lives and most do not frequent this forum or spend any appreciable amount of time with the rules, any more than is necessary to survive on the field.

And the reason they survive with regards to this rule is because the coaches share their ignorance.

You can't convince me otherwise. I have made a mission, of sorts, on this topic. I almost never pass up an opportunity to talk with an umpire and I purposely try to steer the discussion toward this rule in order to "test" their knowledge. I do it politely, often faking like I have some confusion about the rule and allowing them to "straighten me out."

They usually preface their explanation by saying, "It's not too difficult, all you have to remember is ..." and then they go on to reveal a significant misunderstanding about the rule.

Their knowledge is abysmal!

That's the only thing "universal" about the rule that I can tell.

This forum, by the way, is hardly representative of the general umpire population. So it is not a compelling argument for the handful of you (who are likely top-notch umpires) to "wow" me with your DP/FLEX knowledge. I already know that you are non-representative.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN