View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 07:52pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
Stern has apparently decided to stick his head in the sand, just like he did when he first started getting wind of problems with this idiot.

"Why would we believe anything he says?" Stern said of Donaghy
First, I don't think Stern stuck his head in the sand when this story broke. Maybe you know part of the story that I don't know. But I thought that the FBI first brought the issue to the NBA's attention somewhere around April of this year and asked the NBA NOT to take action until they had a stronger case. I wish that Donaghy had not been allowed to officiate the playoffs, but maybe the assignment was made before the league knew about the gambling. I just don't know the details.

But once the season was over, Donaghy resigned, I believe, after being confronted with the evidence. Then Stern gave a brutally detailed press conference and seemed to be very forthcoming.

Second, why would they believe Donaghy says? He's clearly going to say just about anything to get a better deal. Look into it, absolutely. But you're not just going to suspend a third of your staff on Donaghy's say-so!