View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 25, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
Friday night, Phils @ Cubs. I saw only the highlights on ESPN.

Carloz Ruiz, at head end of potential 6-4-3 DP, goes barrel-a$$ing into 2B, taking out Marcus Giles. It was almost a football rolling block. B-R safe at first, even though Giles did get a throw off. No call at second other than Ruiz out.

Of course, ESPN focused on the brouhaha that ensued, with a little contremps between Giles and Ruiz. THEN, ESPN tells us that umps have finally called out B-R for Ruiz's INT. No call when it happened though.

Bill Welke at 2B, BTW.

I have to admit, if I saw this in W-port, and the right call wasn't made until well after the play phase was over, I would have been screaming blue murder.

Ace
This is PRO ball we are talking about. That rule about having to at least reach the base with your hand is virtually not called in a PRO game. We have seen many examples over the years. Albert Belle comes to mind etc.

That's one of the main reasons for having the FPSR. If memory serves F4 was removed because of an injury. The player went "right at" the fielder" not the base.

If that doesn't meet the criteria "willfully and deliberately with obvious intent" I do not know what does.

In PRO ball for the most part runners have "carte blanche"

Since you are speaking of LL it is amazing that LL does not have any sliding restrictions. They have a joke of a safety rule called 7.08(a)3 however, in order for that to be in effect the fielder MUST have the ball AND be waiting to make a tag which is hardly ever the case.

In the LLWS/Regions we already saw a pop-up slide that effected the play but because LL has no sliding restrictions this is legal.

In a nutshell, I doubt even in the LLWS that the umpire would ring up 2 outs on the play you are talking about in the Phils @ Cubs game.

In HS and NCAA we have 2 outs on this play. In LL it would be questionable. That's why IMO< amateur leagues especailly youth leagues should have a FPSR.

Pete Booth