Thread: Dark?
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 25, 2007, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Lightning is not something to mess around with, but as I have said before, the rulebook states that the plate umpire makes the final call regarding suspending the game. He can take input from the base partner, but that is all the base guy can do. Practicing any other method would be disrespectful to the rules of this great game.

I think the real danger comes from umpires not fully supporting their partner's call to suspend a game. I had a situation at CDP where I called in baseball operations to fix a hole in centre field. My one partner was up in arms about it because it meant a 4 or 5 minute delay in the game. Personally I think that kind of attitude is what can really lead to safety problems.
By literal interpretation, yes PU has final say in suspending a game. BUT, not all interpretations are to be taken literally. What I mean is this...When BU sees lightning, he should go to his partner and say, "There's lighnting pretty close, you need to stop the game." Period. If you are going to be dead set (no pun intended) on making the PU make the final call, then you as BU should insist that he make it. He shoul dtrust what you tell him, since he can't see behind him. And in this case, if he won't, make it yourself. If for no other reason, for the liability involved. I expect my partner to help out on this. Plus, I'm not a weather expert, he may be.