Thread: Upward Flight
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 25, 2007, 05:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Not a myth, just an NBA rule and 9 times out of 10 you will see Div. 1 refs call it that way or at least the guys I know call it that way cause the play happens so fast and for you to distinguish if the ball is still on its upward flight after hitting the glass is very hard, all the while looking for contact on the play. It is much easier to notice the ball hitting the glass and then seeing if its touched compared to seeing it hitting the glass, seeing if its still on its way up, oh wait.... he got bumped.... oh wait after the ball hit the backboard was it still going up? haha
HaHa...that statement is complete and utter nonsense. There is nowayinhell D1 officials miss that call 90% of the time.

1) Most of the calls happen on layups. The L usually has the contact. The C and T have the GT call. A good official will get the call right at the very minimum 9 out of 10 times, the exact reverse of what you said. If they're not doing so, then they shouldn't be officiating NCAA D1 basketball.

2)Soooooo.......obviously the guys you know shouldn't be officiating NCAA D1 basketball. Of course, I 'm saying that with the caveat that I don't think that you know what you're talking about. If you do know any D1 refs, I'm sure that they'll actually get this call right the vast majority of the time. If they didn't, they sureashell wouldn't remain D1 officials for very long.