View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'm in Williamsport right now. Watching my friend work the World Series. Hasn't missed a call and had a few tough ones, including a ball correctly called foul (as close as possible without being fair) in his first game on Saturday. Still hasn't done a plate due to today's rainout.

My friend works HS varsity and 3 college conferences.

The bashing of the umpires has grown tiresome. I saw 2 outstanding plate guys work last night. Not sure I could've done any better. I saw some good work on the bases, too. I'm just here enjoying myself....but I'm leaving tomorrow.

The selection process is a mystery, sure. You have to work a district, state, and regional at a level before you can be assigned. You have to apply and be recommended by your DA and the region. There's more, I'm sure.
Here's what I've noticed in the games I've seen. The individual umpires are either VERY good, or VERY bad. Seems to be no middle ground at all. We've got Wendelstadt paired up with Jonny's Dad out there. I'm sure your friend is one of the VERY good one's I've noticed ... but no one can watch these games without seeing at least one (if not 2 or 3) REALLY horrible umpires. Not just bad calls, but bad mechanics and horrid awareness.