View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmeblue
Well, it finally happened. . .I knew one day that being an Umpire was going to get in the way of my playing. ps: There is a question at the end.

Tonite, instead of being behind the plate umpinring. . .I pitched what turned out to be the worst Umpired game I have ever been a part of by supposedly a 20 year veteran umpire. There was ZERO plate mechanics and it seemed that the ball was being thrown back to me by my catcher before I even knew the call. Now I know that there are good umps and bad umps and each has their own quirks including the K zone. . .however. . . . .

His strike zone was as WIDE as Roseanne Barr but Thinner than an Olsen twin on a diet.

So where do I start to ask your opinions. . .Before the game I asked him is strike zone and he said traditional ASA. Well, you coulda fooled me. I was lobbing balls that were coming down within INCHES of the back foot of the batters. . .And all I was getting was SQUEEZED!! His strike zone, in effect, was an inverted Batters Box regardless of natrual batting stance. Nothing down the back shoulder was called, I mean nothing. I could not adjust at all (my issue) and I got Squeezed even more when I and my teammates started to question him (guess I shoulda been tossed). Forget the fact that I pitch reverse handed in which I debated the UMP and the other team that there is no rule that says I have to pitch palm up (unless there is a league rule which there isnt)!!!!In addition, I had batters running up for the pitch and I was getting BALLS!! Unreal

So now that I vented, let me ask a question. I always want to get better as an Ump. Understanding that each ump wether good or bad has their own zone. . .In a 6-10 foot league, or in any other. . . what is the definition of how the ball crosses the back armpit. . .Does the ball, like my umpire said, have to be at a discernable downward arc cutting underneath the armpit? OR, can it also cross the back armpit with less of a perceptible "arc" like in a 3-8ft league meaning a little depth on the pitches. . .now, I know that if it was flat and came across his chest under the pit, that should be a ball, but as I said, my pitches were ALL landing within inches of the batters back foot which means I had to have some downward arc. By getting your advice, I can only get better. . .perhaps my definitions have to change. . .lets see. . . . .(ps - I have topitch tomorrow night in the playoffs!!!)
I'm assuming SP here.

What does "coming down within INCHES of the back foot of the batter" have to do with the strike zone?

What does the armpit have to do with the strike zone?

What does a batter walking the box have to do with the strike zone?

If it was flat and getting anywhere near a batter's armpits, you probably should have been warned, and then removed, for excessive speed.

You are correct about one thing, you do not have to pitch the ball with the palm up.

People giving you all the answers on this board is not going to make you a better umpire or feel any better about your experience. You really do need to pull out the book and read.

Good luck in the playoffs.