View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Because to ASA, "uniform" is not only a noun, it's an adjective.

It's a preference issue, really. ASA doesn't want it, so I don't wear it. Could it spruce up an otherwise ugly uniform? Sure, but until ASA says it's okay...

We're at where we're at.
I didn't say just ASA; I said at higher levels of softball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA Umpire Manual
The first step to being an umpire is looking like an umpire. Understanding the effect appearance has is vital. Appearance is probably more important in umpiring than in other things because in umpiring, at least most of the time, no one ever gets to know you as a person. They have little other criteria from which to make a judgment.

There is a saying in umpiring that you can never make a second, first impression.

If the first impression you give people is sloppy, disheveled or overly casual they will assume these character traits for you. That will then determine the degree of respect they afford you later on if they need to approach you.

On the other hand, if you look neat, clean and sharp, they will assume that this is how you will approach your umpiring and their approach to you will be more respectful.

It is important that you not only have the correct uniform but also that you wear it properly. Your uniform is the only thing in umpiring that you can always get 100 percent right. But you cannot get more than 100 percent. Uniform means alike, the same.

If you do something differently with your uniform–wear a patent leather belt or shoes, press your shirt differently–then you are no longer uniform, and instead of the 110 percent you hoped to achieve, you are now down to about 75 percent. The only reason most umpires to do something differently with their uniform is to draw attention to themselves–something umpires should never do.

Get your uniform to 100 percent. Clean and polished shoes, clean and unwrinkled shirt, clean and pressed pants, clean and blocked hat, and clean, uncracked and polished belt are the requisites of a uniform at 100 percent. Maintain it there. Then devote your energies to getting your umpiring as close to 100 percent as you can. A fine first impression means little if there is nothing of substance to back it up. Make a first impression last.
Okay, you think it looks better. You think it is easier to clean. We get that.

But, it isn't uniform, it isn't the same, it isn't what a top level softball umpire is supposed to wear. Not in ASA, not in NCAA, not in ISF. Don't know for a fact, but I am willing to bet it isn't approved for NPF, either. So far as I know, that pretty covers "top level" softball.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 11:09am.