View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Many referred to them as "cheater" shoes especially in the military before synthetics like Corfam arrived on the scene.

Yes, they can look good and are easy to clean, but are not healthy for your feet. If you have a history of perspiring feet, you just as well wrap your feet in plastic bags.

The process includes treating the leather with a sealer much like the Leather Lustre many umpires use. And like the LL, the sealer will fill the pores of the leather and prevent it from breathing.

There are folks who don't want this type of apparel worn because it does bring attention to an individual umpire if all are not wearing the same thing. The problem is the perception of the teams that the umpire who is NOT wearing the bright, shiny uniform must not be a good umpire.
Gotcha, but I believe the OP had to do more with the belt, not the shoes (though someone brought them up, and it's good for the discussion). Regardless, my answer remains the same: until ASA gives the nod to wear it, I don't wear it. Which actually reminds me of something else, but I'll bring that up in another thread.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.