View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
STOP the weak umpiring that wouldnt pass mustard at the JayVee level! Saw a game yest where a flyball down the First baseline landded ON the line as was called FOUL...by the RFUmp who was literaly 15 feet away! why do they put 6 Umps on the field if they cant make THIS call?

the booth guys replayed it 4 times and said live, "uuurrr...weeellll, lets remeber theyre volunteers, folks!" !
To be completely fair the play you just described was very, very close. The umpire was standing right on the line and there was not a single angle that showed a conclusive shot. None of the camera angles were directly on the line and the umpire was about 10 or 15 feet away from the call right on the line. I still have no idea if the call was right. I just know he was in great position to know. And as said earlier, if an umpire cannot get that call right then he has much bigger problems. I just think if we are criticizing an umpire for this, we really should pause for a second and think what we would say if that was us on the field. And when an official is right there to make a call and the video does not confirm the call or show the call was clearly wrong, in my opinion we should give that umpire/official the benefit of the doubt.

Peace