View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Where's the lie Garth, did you miss this part?

an Ohio batter fouls a ball off of his leg.

Or did the kid foul the ball off his leg on purpose because he wanted the coach to come coach him?

Fouling a ball off your leg hurts. Hell, Jermaine Dye had his leg broken by such a hit. Maybe you think a 12-year old kid should "act like a man"? CRAP - he's 12.

Yet somehow, after attending to the kid, saying "Don't let the fastball by you" as you prepare to return to the dugout makes you a lying rat.

You're wrong. Tim's wrong.
Rich,

I didn't see the play, but from the OP, the coach finished tending to the injury and continued to hang around as though he were tending to the injury while offering hitting advice to his player.

I believe Garth is correctly suggesting that the lie occurred when the coach moved from medic to coach, but suggested he was still a medic by saying, "Hey, he's hurt. I'm just checking on him!" The coach's statement wasn't true: He wasn't just checking on him, he was also coaching him.

No one has suggested the foul ball on the leg didn't hurt. What has been suggested is that coaches who are tending to medical issues shouldn't offer game strategy/advice regardles of how much time it takes to do so. If a coach does that he has moved from an injury time out to an offensive or defensive time out. I don't see any difference between the batter's injury and a pitcher's injury in this regard.