View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
However, for those umpires who live a few hours away from the nearest clinic and only want to call a few local rec games, but call them right, those options are limited. The word about clinics may never reach them, and they are stuck with only the rulebook to serve as a guide. When I first started, I was never told anything about rules clinics, and as a result, I didn't REALLY start learning the rules up until the last 6 or 7 years.
And I fault whomever registered you as an umpire for that. It doesn't take that much to provide a clinic. Does it include a little traveling by the UIC or DUIC? Yeah, but shouldn't training the local umpires be part of their job? If they didn't want to be bothered, then maybe they shouldn't hold the position.

Quote:
The point I'm trying to drive home is: why is the rule book so difficult for many to follow? Why can't it clearly and concisely spell out what is required of the sport's participants?
And my point is I don't think they are as difficult as many believe. I think what makes them difficult are people trying to "beat" the rules or looking for a hole in them instead of just applying them as presented. Don't get me wrong, there are certain rules that, in my mind, are questionable and some have been changed due to activity on this and other boards.

Quote:
Mike, I'm not trying to single you out here, but you have been fortunate enough to see an aspect of the rules that most umpires will take many years to acquire. Clinics are a great tool, but in my opinion, the first place an umpire starts when they first decide to put on the uniform is the book.
Again, that is a regional issue. In some areas, an umpire doesn't see the field or uniform until they have a few "new umpire" clinics under their belt. In my area, it is five nights and the availability of a state school (which is required within the first three years).

Quote:
Clinics, unfortunately, are often an after-thought. Being excessively wordy only serves to confuse the reader,
Yet that is what is being requested here.

Quote:
thus putting the new umpire at a disadvantage.
Then maybe you need to get involved as an officer of your local association and arrange for better training. Just because something happens in your corner of the world, it doesn't mean that is the way it is everywhere, just as I'm KNOW the way we do things here is not the same around the nation.

But enough about that, what I requested was ideas for rule changes, or code changes if you know of one you believe needs to be adjusted.