View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

DeRef: This entire topic did get out of hand because I made a comment to Mike's original thread depicting all the "home runs" that were outs.It was meant to be humorous,as it is the common assumption,even among non players,that SP is known as "beer leagues".Like previously stated,I did play baseball in H.S and college,but also played FP and SP into the early 1990's until I started umpiring and coaching my son who went on to play college ball as well.I realize not all SP is played by drunks and non-athletes and some good ball is played at the higher levels.The design of the game is meant for everyone to be able to hit the ball as its name implies.On my original post,it was directed on topic in an off hand way.What would cause these players to continuously hit the ball over the fence,knowing its an out? My thought was beer,high tech bats,and/or unintelligent play.While I am far from a SP supporter,you tend to go on the offensive when attacked on this forum for having a view point other than the majority.I was always a respectful,non-cocky player in which I instilled my values into the L.L teams I coached and I umpire with the same integrity,so dont get the wrong perception of me beacuse I disagree with you.
One last thought on SP which I dont believe will offer a lot of resistance.A few years back,a young lady who was a senior catcher on a local H.S. team was drowned during her spring vacation in Georgia.Every year in August,there is a SP tournament in her memory in which I umpire.All the local H.S. umpires donate their time,umpiring 3 games pro-bono.My point being is this tournament is played with 3 bats per team which were bought for 20.00 each at Walmart.The games are played on 2 fields with 275' fences and very few balls are hit out.They use a resticted ball and decent games are played.Hig tech bats are probably the biggest issue that is ruinning the SP game today as well as FP and H.S. baseball.When it comes to whiners and major league wanna-bes,SP,FP,and BB all have their fair share.Peace.

Jeff