View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Excellent question MJT. This is one of the things that I am working on right now.

Last year, I worked as Back Judge. I'll be at the Head Linesman position this year.

Being fairly new (2nd year registered) I am open to suggestions. The first step is the get the pre-snap procedure correct. The second step is to practice it on the field. If the first step is wrong, the second step only creates bad habits. Feel free to comment good/bad or otherwise. Any suggestions will only help me to improve.

Here is what I have for Head Linesman:

Ensure wristband indicates correct down
Extend arm above head and signal number of down.
Check chains, clip, down indicator
(exact procedures depend on the result of the last play)
Mentally note:
a) time on clock
b) down and distance
c) yard line the ball is sitting on
Count B players
(offensive huddle breaks)
Identify eligible receivers. (which really means to identify ineligible receivers wearing eligible numbers on my side of field and mentally note the number(s) they are wearing.
Communicate to widest receiver if he is “on the line” or “off the line”
If my widest receiver is off the line, use punch back signal.
Look at Line judge to determine if his widest receiver is on or off the line.
Count the number of backs.
If there are more than four off the line:
a) be ready to throw the flag at the snap, no whistle
b) mental note of formation (the coach is going to want to know what was illegal about the formation)
Look down at feet to ensure I am off the field.
Look down the sideline to ensure the coach/players are in their proper box
(Legs slightly bent, stradling line of scrimmage, whistle in hand) I check the neutral zone.
a) watch for neutral zone infractions
b) watch for false start movement
c) Flag and whistle for either of the above (get player’s number for the referee/coach)
Ensure “man in motion” (moving away from me) is not moving towards line of scrimmage
Be ready to rule on backward pass if quarterback throws pass without dropping back. (punch back signal for backward pass)
Identify formation and “my” keys.
Get ready to watch tackle at snap to determine run or pass.