View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Presnap routines

I am starting a new thread in regards to the thread "any advice for a rookie" where we were discussing presnap routines. I posted this 3 years ago around Christmas time, but only got one response as it was a slow time. Hopefully as we are getting very close to the start of our season we will get responses from all positions.

We did this for a pregame, and it was pretty good. We verbalized them to each other to make sure we knew what everyone else does, and had all our bases covered. It was good in asking some questions about how we would handle this or that. Answer the following for your position, then read mine and all others posted. Hopefully we will learn some things we may want to consider and confirm others that we are doing. I plan on comparing your responses to what my crew said they do, and making sure we are doing all we should.

What you do is make brief statements about what YOU think, for your position, presnap and during the play for the following situations. You can look at mine for a running play, then do yours for running plays, pass plays, punts, free kicks, FG's and trys before reading everyone else's.

Running plays: As the referee
1. look for chin straps of defensive players
2. declare ball RFP
3. jog back to 12-14 yards while looking for chin straps of offensive players
4. once a series, check for 5 lineman numbered 50-79
5. offense player count @ confirm with U. I count as they break the huddle, 4-4-3 and I am done in 2 seconds.
6. watch backs for FS
7. after snap – watch ball, runner, blocks around him until he reaches NZ
8. run parallel to LOS if sweep or option
9. continue to watch QB after handoff for illegal contact, then watch blocks around runner – I can help on key blocks on sweeps in front of runner or behind – whichever look like possible problems.

Pass plays:
1. def/off chin straps, RFP, lineman #’s, player count and confirm with U, watch backs for false start
2. watch for holding especially of tackles or anyone threatening the QB
3. keep my cushion and stay behind QB and roll with him
4. yell “balls away” and stay with QB until no longer any jeopardy
5. watch my U throw flag 30 yards when the H and B are within 5 yards of push off (this is a wisecrack of a OPI we had once.

Punts:
1. def/off chin straps, RFP, lineman #’s, player count and confirm with U, watch backs for false start
2. set up 2 yards in front of punter and very wide
3. see punter gets snap and does not have knee touch ground
4. watch for holding especially on rush ends or personal protector and yell “balls away”
5. see that punter does not get “run into” or “roughed”
6. see that ball is going downfield and if going OOB’s, watch and line up wings with OOB’s spot
7. move chains after making sure no flags are down

Free kicks:
1. count R and K players
2. watch BJ for onside kick signal
3. signal RFP
4. wind clock on touching by R
5. if deep kick, watch ball till release to U and L
6. then watch for BBW, BIB, clips, and holds by R

Field goals and trys:
2. set up on hash and on 14 yard line
3. watch for holding especially on anyone threatening blocking the kick, yell “balls away”
4. see that holder or kicker does not get “run into” or “roughed”
5. don’t blow whistle if FG gets blocked and try to stay ahead of runner on block return
6. turn and give good signal of “good” or “no good” to press box

Penalties:
1. go and meet official to meet him half way.
2. repeat the foul to the official (to ensure you've heard it correctly).
3. make sure you understand status of the ball for enforcement spot.
4. if it is a FS/Encroachment type of dead ball foul, no need to give prelim – just tell umpire/clear self/signal
5. come to a complete stop and give preliminary signal to press box.
6. put your back to offended team's bench so the captain can see his coach.
7. give captain the best choice of option first, if very obvious tell him “you want to back them up, right?”
8. if penalty is accepted, state the penalty and what the enforcement is to the umpire to see that he agrees.
9. L goes to end of enforcement spot, LJ stays at PS
9. clear yourself from players and come to a complete stop and give final signal to press box while U is enforcing penalty.
10. double check ball position as the H should be where the U ends up