View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys...thanks for the advice. Just got back from the scrimmage and here's some of things that I noticed:

1. It's a lot easier to officiate watching on TV than actually being on the field.
2. Trying to remember all the responsibilities I've got at a certain officiating position is actually harder than knowing the rules themselves.
3. I noticed that no matter where I was(wing or ump) I was watching the ball >50% of the time, which is something I shouldn't be doing.
4. When I was in the ump position I forgot where the ball was on the original spot a few times because of #2 above.
5. Couple times on the wing I was late on the whistle because I was fumbling for it on my chest. That was at the beginning, after that I kept it in my mouth the whole time.
6. I'm in pretty good shape, but it needs to be better. (On a 1st D and 10 from the O's 15, they ran quick in and the WR caught the ball and started running down the field breaking tackles...I was sprinting right behind him for 60 yards until he was tackled on the other sideline from me around the D's 20 or so. I was so proud of myself for keeping up and getting the spot even though it was on the other sideline. Then I saw the flag...at the line of scrimmage...for holding. All that work for nothing. It took me a couple plays to get back to normal breathing after that.)
7. I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Ouch.
8. It was a lot of fun and I'm excited for the next one.