View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
...The batter only gets "time" if the wind blows something in her face, or something else happens to break that sequence; not just because she thinks she is waiting too long.
While I agree with the concepts you are talking about, I don't follow this hard-core of a game management approach. Game management issues vary a lot with the level of play, and the head games between batter and pitcher generally only become a real problem at medium levels - below that, they don't try it, and above that, they don't bother with it much (I don't call college ball, where I guess this delaying between pitcher and batter is a real annoyance ...).

If the pitcher is intent on taking her entire allowed 20 seconds, and the batter has been standing like a statue for 10+ and requests time, I'll grant it. At least a few times to allow the teams to get accustomed to each other.

But, 20 seconds to pitch the ball is an eternity; rarely will a pitcher need that much time for any legitimate purpose. Occasionally, the coach may be sending in complex signs for a specific situation, but otherwise, when the batter is set, the pitcher should also be nearly ready.

Besides, it only becomes a real issue for me with there is no time limit. Otherwise, it is the players who are depriving themselves of playing time.

Last edited by Dakota; Wed Aug 08, 2007 at 04:59pm.