View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Another Basket Interference Thread

This may have been discussed so I apologize in advance..... Ball is coming off the rim but is in contact with the side of the rim. A1 pins the ball against side then attempts to slam through the basketball. Trail calls BI. Its happened twice, and both times it was a breakaway play and I'm the new lead and I have a perfect look at the play because of course, I didn't make it back down to the endline. After the second time, I ask my partner why is that BI if the ball isn't on top of the rim or in the imaginary cylinder. She said it's still considered on the rim if it's on the side still in contact of the rim. This is FED rules men's league. I can't find a case play for BI in the FED rules (again, I have an old book, but the BI rule hasn't changed in awhile, has it?) Anyways, now I'm brushing up on the college rules, and I see a specific case play which is a similar situation that I'm referring to. (A.R. 68. The ball is touching the side of the ring of Team A. B1 jumps and contacts the
net. The ball is not touching the top of the ring. RULING: No violation. The ball shall remain live.)

My question is, is the BI rules the same for FED and NCAA? Thanks in advance.