View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Ya that is why I put the quotes around the early. That is argueable, but to the defense that tried to make a live ball appeal....it was killed early! That was actually another question I was going to ask, but I know there is so much HTBT items in it I did not ask it, but since we are talking about it anyway.....

When would you kill the ball in this case? If you knew she only hit the white, and there was a chance of a live ball appeal, 14U and the worst you could have had was a twisted ankle, maybe the breath knocked out of her from the fall (not like a direct shot to the head, or chest that is life threatening).
Dave...you said it yourself....HTBT.

This is purely a judgement call by the umpire at the time that it happens. In hindsight, you thought the play may have been killed too soon because the player just had the wind knocked out of her. At the moment it happens, how do you make the determination if the possible injury is life-threatening or not? You don't know the players history, maybe she has asthma or a heart condition or......

My feeling is that you err on the side of safety in a situation like that and kill the play if you have any doubts. Call her coach out there to tend to her.

if the other team and/or coach complains, my response is " I would have taken the same action for your player"